

I. The meeting was called to order by President Niemi at 9:04 A.M.

II. Roll Call: Absent-Bill T., Mark H.

III. Minutes from September 2018 offered for review, edit, and comments.

Moved to approve by Sharon, seconded by Rachel.

Passed by unanimous voice vote

IV. **Officer Reports** (*Google document used in Exec Committee—included at the end of these minutes, as well as main meeting comments posted below under New Business/Good of the Order*)

President Niemi

Vice President of Activities Ronald

Vice President of Curriculum Curtis

Treasurer Barembaum (*See end of minutes for PDF*)

Secretary Kalashian

Historian Underwood

Editor Cummings

V. **Area Chair Reports** (*Google document used in Exec Committee—included at the end of these minutes, as well as main meeting comments posted below under New Business/Good of the Order*)

Area 1 Chair Harris

Area 2 Chair McCoy

Area 3 Chair Graber

Area 4 Chair Osborn

VI. **Committee Reports** (*Google document used in Exec Committee—included at the end of these minutes, as well as main meeting comments posted below under New Business/Good of the Order*)

Debate Committee (Kalashian)

Public Relations Committee (Lampert)**Individual Events Committee (Gale)****Congress Committee (Matley)****VII. Old Business / VIII. New Business:**

Reed: We have new requirements by California law. We now need to approve new positions, such as Area Chairs. We need to approve two new positions. Both Secretary and Treasurer are now elected positions but we should approve them nonetheless for next year. Do we approve these positions? **Aye. Unanimous.** Jennifer is also up for Area 3 Chair after a special election. Thank you, Terry, for handling the special election for us, for the second year in a row. Do we approve? **Aye. Unanimous.** Also welcome Leilani Mchugh the new S.C.D.L. President. Do we approve? **Aye. Unanimous.** Jimmy Morales was welcomed as the new CFL president. Do we approve? **Aye. Unanimous**

Approve September Minutes (Sharon, Rachel 2nd): **Aye. Unanimous..**

Make eye contact with me if you want to speak. Please do not be bombastic and or accusatory, this will come out of your speaking time. No need to be nasty.

Reed President report:

Great job Angel running State and helping with MS State. VP Activities had to two work right after State also for MS State at Leland High School. Southern California State is much smaller this weekend (\$250 for a school for \$200 for an Lder, we set it up at \$25 a school and \$10 an Lder). We have many more entries. They had said whoever has the larger tournament the other one will fold. I said no, this is a five-year project. Ron and Gay are suffering with all the work they had to put in. Academies send students with individual checks, AP testing at Leland, other issues. Caiti is off of council so I have to think about who else may assist them going forward, but her and Iain also did excellent work helping out.

Clovis North may be hosting State in 2022 (we think) and they have offered to host MS State next year. We can always go back to Leland. We should have done this 10 years ago and I am glad we have this now. We want to create excitement so that students go off to schools and create new programs.

MS State should be Mother's Day weekend next year, (May 8th-10th), but we are not completely sure.

Big thank you to Terry Abad. He helps run special elections when we need him to. Headshots, write-ups, checks with Neil, etc.

Rewriting rules and regulations, get rid of much of the narrative. We need to be more succinct and organized and too the point.

January meeting, has had quorum issues in the past, and we can't pass new rules that day for State anyway. So, we would like to make this meeting a committee work session. We want to have the meeting first weekend in

January in Las Vegas. CHSSA pays for 'workers' that want to go. We have a lot of work we can do to share workloads for State. We printed certificates for State and they came out to 900 for \$44. Great deal.

Angel VPA report:

State 2020 will be at Logan April 24th-26th, 2020.

The postmark date will be March 27th, 2020.

The online registration deadline will be March 20th, 2020 at 5 P.M.

All league presidents much have their completed Master Entry sheets completed on or before Mach 19th, 2020 at 5 P.M.

Food voucher program was great. We had 60 cards. Students cried and we had great comments. We want to get more like 85 and even get maybe 20 more and leave them at the help desk. Please loom for contributors to this program and also find a way to do this on a local level as well.

We also included gender bias on our ballots this year. We have data and are using a group in Ohio to check the results of the last few years versus the results of this year. One sentence can make a difference.

Minnia helped at State. San Diego donated money to help (\$500). Mikendra did so much, Jennifer helped, etc. Thank you to all of you who stepped up did extra.

Minnia VPC report:

At State we have a new coaches handbook but it's very old. We are working to modernize it, as well as make it shorter (it is 175 pages now). We will link to longer documents if people want them. Student handbook also needs to be updated. We did get to video certain semi-finals and final rounds of State, we have been asked to wait till after Nationals, we will let you know when they are ready.

PR: (Fill in Angel)

Bobby did a great job at State (with Instagram). We are still reaching out for sponsors. Let us know if anyone wants to donate (especially for food insecure students), also use Amazon Smile to help give a percentage to CHSSA.

Neil Treasurer:

Report says it all, longer than usual. My report is attached to an email that Reed has sent. We should keep track of the money that is left over from food donations on a separate line. Schools who need reimbursements for anything let me know.

Karson Secretary: Glad to be here, busy taking notes.

Area 1 Harris: Thank you for securing Logan for 2020, Angel, Dave, Jesse. Here is Jimi, the new CFL President.

Jimi: I have been doing speech and debate since middle school. Was a finalist in extemp senior year in Texas. Excited to help with debate. I am with the Silicon Valley Urban Debate League. We need to expand participation. Two counties have zero schools that compete, one county has one.

Area 2 McCoy: Best practices at each tournament between rounds 2 and 3; this would give us opportunities to share with one another while we are mostly all gathered in one spot and could also be adapted locally if needed. CHSSA should take over the world.

Area 3 Jennifer: We are working on 2021, trying for Culver. Welcome Lelani. Kathy Graber is retiring, thank you for all that you have done. Bobby we hope gets to fill the role permanently. Sharon can hopefully be our at large rep. Ashley will no longer serve unfortunately.

Reed: Bobby can be grandfathered in under our new corporation rules.

Area 4 Sarah: Thank you everyone, especially Mikendra and Minnia. Orfield will be leaving also. Thank you for your help you have been a gem. I resigned yesterday as Area Chair. It has been an honor to help, you are wonderful and inspiring and keep it up.

I.E. Committee: Jennifer (wait until new business)

We did not have time but may change Expos to Info. Steve came in to help us.

Reed: Change expos to Info when you enter points with the NSDA. You can map it.

Debate Chair: Karson

Karson: Things that are not new that we talked about. Parli topics at State. People on the committee were busy and Angel and I did the topics. Terry would find me and I had the topics in my pocket. But that is not the procedure. Next time we will do more to get the committee together. We suggest as the committee, and topic security is important, but we think the committee should get the topics Monday before State so we can get them to Angel on Wednesday. This way we don't need to Vet during State. Debate committee members often get jobs at State and are busy. If the members have debaters in State we will have them recuse themselves.

We want to rename the Chuck Scholarship into the Chuck Grant. We want to give it out in the first Semester next year. We also think if teams just want to do policy they can apply and they shouldn't have to make it to state to apply. We gave money to 3 worthy schools this year. Niel can send out checks in Jan moving on.

There were no judge instructions during state this time. We had no protests at State this time. And we wondered if people didn't protest because they didn't know what to protest? Half joking aside, the NSDA doesn't give out instructions and we wonder if that is intentional.

We are working on redoing the rules for debate based on the CFI model. We also checked the NSDA rules. We want to have pages for each debate event like the NSDA so that things are clear. Then we want to look at the ballots. Then we'll go over the rules. Step by step by step.

We had a few proposals from Mr. Larsen, the pit boss at State. Thank you. We are supporting both of them.

We discussed side balance. It used to be that you had 3 rounds and you'd never get side balance. But people came to complain they had 3 affs and 1 neg. We figured that if we preference side constraints instead of power in round 4 then they'll get what they want. And we think that teams want two Aff and two Neg more than hitting their exact power match in one round. This doesn't need to be a rule change.

Erik: It does need to be a rule change because it is in the bylaws.

Karson: Ok then we'll need to bring that to the body in September.

Confusion in Parli happened at State. People were saying there were no POOs in Parli. There was confusion in the judge house. We recommend that a member of the debate committee be assigned in the judge house. The judge house was getting questions and were trying to find answers. Even if things were clear someone should be there to answer questions.

Angel: If debate wants to run the judges house, they can have at it.

Karson: How do we outreach for policy? How do we get marginalized students involved? Cutting fees goes a long way. CFL has cut fees for their UDL Schools, allowing schools who are 60% economically disadvantaged or higher to compete for free. If we as leagues are doing things like this then UDLs will try this. We want to, as the committee, to reach out to the 4 Urban Debate Leagues in the State. We have one member on the committee already and we will start there.

Artem brought some Parli changes and it was helpful and we will keep it. It was his last meeting and he was adamant about it.

Matley Congress:

Break 15 instead of 14 to sems (so instead of 28 to 14, it will now be 30 to 15 for breaks). A few clean up by-law revisions. Bill submissions etc. I want to thank Rachel for showing us how to incorporate various software programs into congress tab. Bob and Sally were a huge help as always.

Ben Editor: I get to send out texts and they get to respond. 1200 texts back from kids. If you click on the link in exec notes you will see positive notes. I did not receive anything negative from students, other than wanting breaks.

I have begun converting the by-laws into the 'rules and regulations'. Much clearer and statement based. Modeled after the CIF format. I think we should follow this, especially for any other re-writes (such as what debate committee is doing).

Reed: Too much narrative in the past when we wrote rules. It was passed and 'shall' and it comes up in the rules as 'may'. We need to get rid of those inconsistencies.

Ben: I will be sending out the bulletin. I have sent out two this year and a third will be coming. State tournament debrief/detox. Winners, photos, etc.

No historian report:

Recess at 10:13, back together at 10:20.

Congress:

David: **0519A:** Authorship: Comes from schools, we thought it would be nice to follow the protocol to let the schools that sent it in to give the authorship speech. **Curtis second.** We did a congress survey 2018 that they wanted to see authorship speeches. You have the chance to give the first speech, still counts towards priority, if they are both from the same school still follows the rules. If no one wants to do it from that school, anyone else can.

Michael: I am in favor of this. Under rational I was not liking it being that it goes to 'the schools closest neighbor'. Can we get rid of that?

David: Yes, we can get rid of that.

Neil: Can an authorship speech be negative?

David: No. I remind my students this all the time.

Call to question Minnia, Rachel seconds: Sharon calls the vote: **Aye, all in favor one abstains. Passes.**

David **0519B**: Direct questioning would allow the notion that you can question. Bobby seconds.

Rachel: It was exciting, it was spicy to judge sems at Nationals in congress. Fewer overall are allowed to speak possibly but it gets more direct questions. We are also moving to line up with the NSDA.

Bobby: This creates better questions. Also makes easier on the presiding officer. Makes it easier to judge.

Minnia: I support this but how does it affect fewer students getting questions?

David: The questions will be better. You still get at least two questions each time, so students should get at least two in depth questions if they try to question each time. Only for sems and finals.

Motion to suspend the rules, Orfield. Second by Clemons. **Aye, all in favor. Passed.**

Back in session. Michael: Direct questioning could be made to think we can no longer use cross-examination format. Why that phrase?

David: To be consistent with invites and the NSDA.

Rachel: Sems and Finals. These students can handle it.

Donald: Should we follow up with adding language that there are more guidelines with the P.O.?

Jennifer: Are we not supposed to have these as a quorum meeting before we vote?

Reed: We can vote as a body now or later that is up to you.

Rachel: They have been here for a year (September).

Bobby: Direct X us what congress students use.

Minnia: The difference is you get longer to ask and answer, but you could ask follow up questions?

Karson, call the previous question, second Minnia. Aye. Mikendra. Ben seconds. **Aye. All passes.**

Congress **0519F**: Seems to be a typo from the word 7 to 6. James seconds.

Rachel: This is housekeeping.

Jennifer: Congress bonus does not have a threshold.

Erik: You have to have .5 to get a bonus. In debate you have to have win (in the old system) about 2 rounds per entry per league to get a bonus.

Bobby calls, Burton seconds. Aye. **Aye. All passes.**

Karson: **0519P**: This is simple housekeeping. We know need to give out results after round 3 of 4 not after round 2 of 3. Lelani seconds.

Don previous, McCoy. **Aye. All passes.**

Karson: **0519Q:** This eliminates the weird reshuffle in sems that none of us can figure out why so we want to eliminate it. It also gets rid of removing the fact that same schools cannot hit same schools in sems. The bracket should be pure.

Rachel: We want the bracket to be pure. Breaking brackets feels pure. We should protect seeding.

Reed: We dodged a bullet. Have to thank Erik Larsen for helping to head off problems. The visuals he sent really show how this works.

Michael: What does the question mark show? Did those teams hit?

Jennifer: No, the bracket didn't hit.

Bobby: If you pass this rule, it won't happen again.

Previous question, Neil seconds. **Aye (two abstentions). Aye (two abstentions).**

Reed: I already talked about Middle School State. We should keep this going. We will deal with problems coming up.

Neil: Do you want me to adjust the budget for that?

Reed: Yes please. We need to implement some changes.

Karson: What does that mean to include it in the budget?

Reed: I don't know yet, Neil can bring that forward later. About \$18,000 collected for the tournament. We should do prepayment, not just checks at registration. Best practices for MS State should be based on High School State. Trying hard to support this program.

Angel: We have nice trophies for them, scaled down just a little.

Jennifer IE: **0519D withdrawn. 0519C:** We added Prose, Poetry, etc. Ben seconds.

Ben: Are we leaving out anything?

Karson: This is word for word what the NSDA says.

Erik: Can they sing a song?

Many: Yes.

Minnia: Prose covers most anything if it isn't in poetry etc.

Neil: Drama may have a different rule than we intend it to mean.

Minnia: Words have double meanings.

Karson calls, Rachel seconds. **Aye.** McCoy calls, Sherwood seconds. **Aye, 1 Nay. Passes.**

0519E: Jennifer: Adds a timer to the semi-final round for spontaneous events at the tournament director's discretion. Bobby seconds.

Rachel: Simple housekeeping.

Bobby calls, Rachel seconds. Steve moves, Rachel. *Aye. Passes all.*

0519T: Jennifer: Out of order. Allows for timers in spontaneous events. Bring in your own timers. Judges won't HAVE to give out time signals. Judges often mess up the time signals, or neglect paying attention to the speech. Ben seconds.

Reed: Take back to leagues.

Steve: This evens the playing field. Judges should be paying attention to the content.

Mikendra: Feel like an old person, why can't we sit a timer on the front of the table? I don't prefer it in their hands.

Jennifer: Leagues use CHSSA rules.

Reed: I have coached kids to extemp out rounds at Cal and the TOC. I had to learn to teach kids to place it on the table and tell the judge they are the official timer.

Lelani: Different people time impromptu in different ways, so let them keep track of their own time. Can a contestant ask another person in the room to give them time signals?

Reed: I would say that is a bad practice.

Minnia: That sounds bad, what if they claim incorrect signals? I also love Mikendras idea. Can we add to it since we are not voting today? Don't leagues make up their own rules?

Angel: I bought 100 kitchen timers that can be propped up. We could totally give these out.

Bobby: Add language such as 'which can include' timers on a table we set up etc.

Erik: Leagues make their own rules. This says judges are required to give time signals.

Jennifer: This still allows it. We were trying to leave it general.

Minnia: I would like it to say that it has to be on the table. Also, leagues cannot follow CHSSA if it is their rules.

Donald: I would recommend that judges 'may give' and you could do what you want. They use tables now at invites, does not seem to be an issue.

Sharon: Do we have this so we can take it back to our leagues?

Reed: It is on CHSSA.org under council. Refresh if needed.

Angel: Wording wise, we can put ideas together. We can use words like discouraged instead of banned.

Rachel: There are other parts of our rules that need to be looked at if we go down this road. Such as what can they take out of the extemp room.

Michael: We want judges out of the time signal business altogether. Too many mistakes.

Karson end discussion, Rachel second. *Aye.*

Rachel moves, Sharon seconds to table. Unanimous Aye, tabled.

0519G: Jennifer: General rules are not the same as the events rules. We just need to move this to where it belongs so it does not cause an issue with POI. Bobby seconds.

Karson moves to table, Ashley seconds. *Aye.*

0519J: Jennifer: Clarify duties so that exempt topic selection is a committee duty.

Erik: We should vote.

James motions, Ashley seconds. *Aye all. Passes.*

0519K: Jennifer: Clarify the checklist and puts then into the rules. Bobby seconds.

Rachel: This seems simple and housekeeping. Let's vote on it.

Sharon: I concur.

Neil motions, James seconds. *Aye all. Passes.*

0519N: Jennifer: December 31st cutoff date. We should remove this. Must use published materials 30 days prior to qualification and also 30 days prior to State. Ben seconds.

Donald: Doesn't this help deal with elitism of people writing scripts?

Steve: Has to be accessible Nationally? Why December 31st? What is I need Christmas break to work on something? Is it the script or the person acting? 30 days is long enough. They are also burning that script for them for next year.

Rachel: It has to be published and readily available. Seems to be before the internet and archaic. A journalist particularly for POI for example may benefit from recent news.

Bobby: Recent news can change especially in POI with systemic issues. It also makes you work on your piece all year long.

Neil: POI is exempt from this rule.

Ben: I like 30 days before qualifier. I don't know that before State makes sense. We should add this to the cover sheet.

Angel: Isn't that on the publisher page?

Ben: Yes, but this will make it easier to see.

Karson: Payment for speeches is the real issue in my mind.

Donald: It seems to be for \$1,000 you can get a script made for you. It seemed like December 31st was a little more difficult to cheat the system.

Jennifer: POI is not extemp currently from December 31st, only OI. We have talked about publishing with payment for script, we agree it is an equity an access issue, but deadlines don't stop that. The reason we doubled down on 30 days and 30 days was many leagues have very different qualifiers that can change this.

Steve: December 31st was a solution in search of a problem. The piece can still be good for a person regardless of date. Shouldn't we be worried about the performance also and not the piece? Do we have examples of schools where this happens?

Minnia: I like pieces to be used in competition before you go to State. This allows better vetting. I would actually like this to be a rule. Deal with problems earlier.

Rachel: What we don't have in front of us are the headers which describe which events.

Minnia moves to table, Rachel seconds. Aye. Passes all.

0519I: Jennifer. Moves the December 31st date for POI as well as OI. Ben seconds.

Rachel: So if we pass N, we don't have to pass I?

Multiple people: Yes.

Bobby moves to table, Ashley seconds. Unanimous Aye. Tabled.

0519O: Michael: This is taking words across numerous pages and making up a sentence. You can still use your added words. We had to rule on a kid, and then I was overturned, and it was too late. Ben seconds.

Karson: We should follow the NSDA for clarity for coaches and students. We don't want to have two pieces, one for State and one for Nat Quals/Nationals. The interpretation part allows for this in my mind. Granted, I do not do this or like it.

Mikendra: A cutting means you cut it up by definition. As a coach it's hard to verify. Interpretation should mean I can add my own ways to do this. I'm flustered.

Reed: The committee decided on a 4-0 to support the original protest, including McCoy.

Bobby: If we put this, we also have to look at authors intent.

Rachel: Having a student but together a saying that my mother was murdered from pages that didn't say that. We are supposed to be ethical coaches. We should be checking this.

Steve: This bill allows the performer as they want, they need to be count those as added words. It would not be authors intent to do this. They can count this as added words.

Ben motions to recess, Many seconds. Aye. Passes. 12:00.

Reconvene at 1:08 P.M.

Sharon: This helps keep this closer to authors intent.

Jennifer: The 150 words allows for this; I shouldn't have to read all 50 pages.

Angel: Authors intent. I did a lot of research. No major speech organization describes authors intent. Give me a clear bright line otherwise protests will be crazy.

Erik: I am conflicted on this; I have seen people try to create dialogue. I kicked something back to a coach and they fixed it.

Mikendra: The request for morality is something you can't legislate. This leads to a slippery slope. Tone and presentation can be different; how is this different from debate with bolded words and words not bolded in a piece of evidence?

Michael: Authors intent is not at the heart of this rule. You would have to find the author and ask them or find it in writing. I read an article that says that. So, this is about added words and splicing single words together.

Minnia: The way this is worded here....if it said single words pulled together I would be more inclined. What if I use half a sentence and half a sentence? I think it goes too far. Maybe we should discuss getting rid of authors intent....? We take a serious script and make it funny, right?

Angel: We have no actual rules about authors intent.

Ben: It is referenced in the added words section only.

Karson: Like Steve said, the performer really matters, not just the script. Two, none of what we are saying addresses what I said about how this makes us different still from the NSDA. I am not sure this is a sword that we want to die on.

Sarah: I know it when I see it situation (when we see a 60-page script). I am more worried about a coach wants a sentence on a page to come before another? Does that help with this or not? Angel was hitting the nail on the head when she said it needs to be super clear. We don't want to over legislate. Keep talking to coaches locally and they can help.

Neil: There is a practice that is going on that we don't like, so we should put something in the rules that says it isn't allowed. Why say we do not like it and then do nothing about it?

Steve: Why are you speaking against it if you say you don't want to do this yourself on your team? We could for example say one sentence and it is clear that it was never the intent of the selection. People can change emotions, the ending, even genders to suit their purposes.

Ben: I have done this before. I did it to make a sentence that functioned. It didn't change the intent etc. Changing the words to make a character kill her mom would change the authors intent if that did not happen in the speech, for example. So, added words doesn't solve that. How do we make this fit the new rules and regulations that we are going for? We don't want bad actors in interpretation.

Don: If we create the sentence if she killed her mother, is that a problem if she killed her mother? If it is possible within the realm of this interpretation, then why is it illegal? Related to the script that initiated this problem, it was fixed 7 to 10 times. This coach met with the president and asked for legality. The coach was not given a chance to fix this

Jennifer: What does the body want to do?

Steve: As someone who is inexperienced in interp, why was the creation of that sentence needed for any piece? Or the piece that you used (to Ben)?

Ben: The story was about art and it was repeated across the piece and pulling it together in one sentence made more sense and drove home the point.

Mikendra: There is the Meta argument and real argument. Things like Boom, Bash, Crash create connections but can be moved around.

Moved to table, seconded by Minnia: Aye. Passes.

0519R: Change the bonus requirement for Duo. Jennifer: Duo is still at .75 for Duo for a bonus, we want to match all the other events. Curtis seconds. This would be for the 2021 season, not next year.

Ben moves, Rachel seconds. Aye. Unanimous Aye, motion passes.

0519H: Remove committee from President duties. Minnia seconds.

Reed: Under new by-laws there is some weird stuff. Executive Board of Directors can legislate when this body isn't together, but I have asked them not to weaponize this. So, some of these committees are clearer now. Strikethrough another part also.

Rachel: Should we just wait until we fix all the rest of this and then address this?

Jennifer: Motion withdrawn.

0519L: Jennifer: It doesn't change anything except it references the wrong paragraph.

McCoy seconds. Ben motions, Sarah seconds. Aye. Unanimous Aye, motion passes.

0519M: Jennifer: Allow electronic balloting for HOF. I think we should match what many of us currently do. Rachel seconds. HOF members are still sent something, so we only need to change number.

Ben moves to table, Sharon seconds. Aye.

Reed: (Showed a graphic that shows the new leadership format based on our incorporation; [see graphic attached at end/exec council notes](#)). I also don't like the chance for the deck to be stacked, so I wish the four appointed positions are no longer the purview of the President, but rather the executive Board of Directors would bring forward candidates and then the Board of Directors.

Artem: Would the body automatically approve or discuss positions?

Reed: Great point. We should question and we don't want those candidates in the meeting when we decide for candor.

Mikendra: How does a person get removed?

Reed: They can resign. If you miss three meetings you are out. Another reason I want to move from three meeting a year to two.

Jennifer: Where do curriculum fall?

Reed: I will add curriculum to a spot.

Minnia: Can there be a discussion about not doing elections every single year?

Reed: We could, our attorney recommended two-year terms, I said no. We still have some money with the attorney. We can revisit this with her.

Artem: I think one-year term is good, and since many people are only here year by year so they should be able to vote yearly.

Suspend the rules. Ben, Donald. Aye.

Rules resumed.

Reed: I wanted to share what is going on and so we can leave some institutional knowledge. We need to have a vote for the Executive Board of Directors.

Motion for a white ballot by Ben, second by Orfield. All in favor of current BOD. **Aye. Unanimous.**

Please area chairs you need to appoint someone who will come.

Jennifer: Can an area chair remove an appointment?

Reed: Yes, but they would need to bring that to the EDOD and then we would take it to the BOD.

IX. GOOD OF THE ORDER

Minnia: Expos. How do we feel about aligning with Info with the NSDA? You cannot have things powered by an outside source?

Erik: NSDA doesn't allow it?

Minnia: Nope, very clear it is not allowed. Secondly, why are we rewriting our rules is what I thought at first? I really like what we are doing. It will clear up everything.

Jennifer: Taken care of.

Angel: Check allocations in 30 days. Then they become public. I have also sent out an email blast asking for anyone who needs trophies fixed. Three schools appealed their fines, I didn't even read their forms and provided. So, their voted

Melissa: What if I didn't fill this form out?

Angel: You are not on the list.

Jennifer: You can contact myself or Karson.

Karson: Help line worked really well this year at State, with myself answering it and Angel backing me up when she had time. I think having a dedicated person to answer this is beneficial for a tournament and can head off a lot of issues, as long as that person answers the phone, moves around when needed, and also communicates issues to the appropriate pit bosses and the tournament director when they are not simple questions that they can field themselves. Working with good people to make State happen this year really lifted my spirits. I was impressed by so many hard working and knowledgeable coaches getting things done without yelling and fighting even under pressure. I feel fortunate to work with leaders such as yourself.

Mikendra: Food voucher program. I want to thank Chris Harris for pointing out some students who needed help. Some kids needed help and Chris heard them and we found them food and the coach teared up. Also, Karson's team also received vouchers and they were so thankful for the food they were able to purchase. They showed this by coming early each day and staying late each day to help clean up, and even the director of the Long Beach team noticed and complimented the Orosi students and offered them a spot on his college team if they were interested! So the program provided a needed service but also brought out the best in students.

Toastmasters and rotary are willing to give to things such as food vouchers. Go and get involved as a judge pool and can help with our supplies.

Erik: How did it work (the food voucher program)?

Angel: They gave them credit cards for Long Beach and we gave each kid \$60. Long Beach wiped the difference.

Mikendra: It was great because they were able to use like any credit card so no students were embarrassed at having a need.

Chris: The last five minutes was helpful to me, enjoyable. We should have more conversations like this.

Donald: How can we do this on a local level?

Mikendra: For example, a host team this year pulled their food court and so our league purchased food for all of the students who wanted to eat. This shows how a league can feed students if they choose to do so.

Donald: You mentioned CIF and I got an email asking how many competitors you had?

Reed: That because it is reported to NFHS. You have a good activities director then. California is unique because our speech and debate is not governed under an organization such as CIF.

Minnia: Some of the students returned the cards that must be unused. I would love to go to the ticket program and I will help you set it up.

Reed: Many coaches are good hearted. Many schools needed help

Rachel: Did you live update this meeting?

Reed: No, so by October 1st changes will be up on the webpage.

Ben: As I change items please check since sometimes items get changed.

Karson: I think it was great what Ben did, not only feeding my students on their way home from our most recent local tournament at his school a week ago with food from his snack bar for free, but also finding the money to donate for the food insecurity program that we ran this year at State. Many of us have good ideas but I applaud him for putting action behind these ideas to help hungry students eat.

Bob: When Reed said we are not tied to the Federation, but they also publish forensics quarterly. For about \$20 you get insurance and it covers your butt. Tell new coaches. Recognize outstanding K-12 teachers. Send me an email if you know anyone who is worthy of recognition.

Reed: Go ahead to NFHS and look at their judge training. It is excellent and it is free. The course even shows when you have completed it is you wanted verification that a judge, for example, has done the course before a tournament.

Angel: The NSDA will show you who in your state/area has completed this training, in case you want to use this to train judges/require of younger judges.

Mikendra: Safety at tournaments. Can we give ribbons or pins or some way to identify who is where etc. Rubber bracelets maybe by different colors for students and judges etc. It is easier to remove someone from high school campus.

Jennifer: CHSSA has been doing great work. Thank you for your leadership. Rachel asked about October I worry about Duo.

Karson: I would like to say that safety on campuses is a big concern, not only for our students but also for our coaches. I know of a coach who felt personally threatened at State by the presence of another coach who had had confrontations with her in the past. Some coaches knew that coach had showed up, and while some might not have known all the details, some knew the offended coach did not want them present and actively 'hid' the other coach from sight while they went to rounds. This is not acceptable. Our harassment policy needs to apply in all directions, such as student to student, coach or judge to student, but also student to coach, as well as well to coach, and any possible permutations of this. What can we do to protect ALL of us at tournaments, and what steps can be taken, if any, to bar access to a tournament from a person that is deemed to be a threat?

Chris: We need to follow proper procedure (not just CHSSA). We should not take matters into our own hands.

Rachel: I told my kids they couldn't attend without their pins. Bracelets are a good idea, also like a sign in sheet for who may be present and who should not be. We should find ways to track students better.

Ben motion to adjourn, seconded by 2:55. *Aye. All passes.*

Calendar dates:

- Fall meeting September 6th-7th, 2019 in TBD
- Winter meeting is January 3rd-4th, 2020 in Vegas (working meeting)
- Spring meeting May 15th-16th, 2020 in TBD
- State Tournament April 24th-26th, 2020 @ James Logan High School
- MS State Tournament May 1st-3rd, 2020 @ Clovis North High School

Next CHSSA meeting is September 6th-7th, 2019 in TBD

Meeting adjourned at 2:55 P.M.
Respectfully submitted by Karson
CHSSA Secretary



Exec Committee Reports May 17th, 2019

CHSSA Executive Council - Meeting Minutes

President Report - Reed Niemi

- Huge thanks and congrats to Angel for helping pull off State 2019 and helping with MS State 2019
- Middle School State Champs
 - Continue?
 - Locations...Clovis North, Leland, SoCal?
 - Dates (Mother's Day weekend)? NOT at sametime as Board meeting
- Special Election process (thank you Terry Abad!)
- Board schematic, elections, board approvals, etc.
- Rules and Regs rewrites needed and a ton of housekeeping required (ideas?) May be a group in Jan 2020?
- Advancing the idea that the January meeting would be a working meeting in **Las Vegas** (not mandatory meeting) mainly for PR and Curriculum committees. All are invited to assist. The end goal is to have:
 - 1) Google league qual forms set up;
 - 2) Sponsors confirmed;
 - 3) Ballots, Judge instructions, and Cover sheets completed;
 - 4) In the future, have a sit-down meeting with State tournament hosts;
 - 5) Supply orders;
 - 6) Committee work (see above)

VP Activities - Angelique Ronald

State 2020 will be at James Logan High School in the GGSA April 24-26, 2020.

The postmark date will be March 27, 2020.

The online registration deadline will be March 20, 2020 at 5 PM.

All League Presidents must have completed Master Entry (pink) sheets completed on or before March 19, 2020 at 5 PM.

VP Curriculum - Minnia Curtis

1. At the New Coach Meeting during the State Tournament, it was requested that we update the Coaches Handbook, which is on our website. We agree! (it was last updated 2012-13, links that don't work, outdated rules etc.). We transferred it into google docs, and then worked on the re-formatting, updating, and breaking it into manageable chunks with working links.
2. Will do the same with the Student Handbook.
3. Yes, State rounds will be posted after Nationals.

Coordinator of Public Relations - Interim Chair Ronald

Instagram

Sponsor Thank You Notes Created

Ongoing sponsorships for food insecurity program

Treasurer - Neil Barembaum

Amy supports the idea of meeting in Las Vegas. (Though my Lake Tahoe idea was nixed some years ago)

Report submitted separately.

Thank you to Angel and Mikendra for continually increasing Sponsorships. (What a great business model! I get an email to send an invoice. I send an invoice. Later a check comes in or the invoice is paid by credit card--need to replicate the model)

Bank Charges (on Report) mainly from fees related to Paypal fees needed to pay Host on the day.

Reorganization of Report:

Scholarships moved out of Tournament section since many are also items (e.g. Fee Waivers and Chuck Ballingal Policy Debate Grant) given out to schools to promote speech and debate among underserved schools. Perhaps I should move food program out of State too.

Insurance moved out of Tournament section since it covers 12 months (including this meeting) instead of just the tournament.

Middle School Competition shows expenditures of ca. \$10,000, but does not include anticipated revenue of ca. \$17,000. Then again, there may be other expenditures.

We are in the black. Didn't expect it.

Non-monetary issue: We are now putting designations on proposals one of which includes, "Housekeeping." Perhaps if there is a passed proposal that was designated as "Housekeeping," that later turns out to be a substantive change, that we can invalidate the change because it was a substantive change.

Secretary Report - Karson Kalashian

Nothing to report, thank for you continuing to let me take notes!

Area 1 - Chris Harris**Area 2 - Mikendra McCoy****Area 3 - Jennifer Nguyen**

There's a lot of changes coming for next year. All three leagues are looking at new league presidents. We would like to welcome Leilani McHugh as the new SCDL president. As most of you know, Kathy Graber is retiring this year. We wish her well and want to thank her for her service. Jerome will continue to be co-president for TCFL. Bobby has been coming to the CHSSA meetings as Kathy's proxy, we are hoping he gets to fill the roll officially. WBFL has not yet made a decision. Sharon James will still be at the meetings next year as the Area 3 at large rep. Thank you to Ashley who has served as our curriculum rep. She will be busy with other commitments next year and will not be able to serve, however our curriculum rep will be coming from TCFL.

Area 4 - Sarah Sherwood

Thank you to everyone who helped pick up the slack for OCSL to host State. I hope your students and coaches had a wonderful time.

Area 4 would like to wish a fond farewell to SDIVSL President the Hon. Michael Orfield. We wish him well and would like to thank him for his years of service, coaching, and wonderful disposition he brings to the activity. He will be missed.

I would also like to announce that as of 5/17/2019 I have resigned as Area Chair to the CHSSA President. I do not do this lightly. I would like to thank everyone in CHSSA and I wish everyone the best moving forward.

IE Chair - Jennifer Nguyen

We reviewed the various IE proposals:

0519C: IE is endorsing this proposal because this was in the rationale when TI was changed to POI. We think it will clarify the genres to all coaches. We changed the word "and" to "or" after the docket was sent out

0519D: IE is withdrawing this proposal because it was passed at the previous meeting

0519E: IE is endorsing this proposal because we feel that it is very important to have correct timing for spontaneous events, especially in the final round

0519G: IE is endorsing this proposal after edits made during committee. We feel that this will make it easier for coaches instead of writing the rules under each event. If this doesn't get passed, we will need a new proposal to add the manuscript requirements in POI.

0519I: IE is endorsing this proposal but this is our second choice if 0519N is not passed. Like OI, POI benefits from allowing updating past December 31st especially since many POI's use news articles

0519J: IE is endorsing this proposal. This makes it easier for someone to know the full duties of IE committee without having to go to the individual event rules

0519K: IE is endorsing this proposal after edits made during committee. This follows what the cover sheet checklist has as manuscript requirements

0519N: IE is endorsing this proposal after edits made during committee. We feel this is a fair compromise between allowing choice for competitors and a reasonable deadline. This also makes it so that it is the same rule for all events.

0519O: IE is endorsing this proposal after edits made during committee. This is an attempt to stop students from piecing speeches together.

We wrote a new proposal to allow students to bring in their own timing devices for spontaneous events.

We were asked to write a rule to change Expos to Info both in name and the rules. This is something that we are willing to discuss and look at but at this time we did not have enough time to fully consider this. We want to know what are the harms and benefits are. We also need to further investigate the difference between Info and Expos.

For good of the order - proposal to lower the threshold for bonus for debate to 0.5

Debate Chair - Karson Kalashian

Review committee vetting of Parli topics at State

-Debate Committee was not available to meet at State to pick topics. Debate Committee Chair and State Tournament Director became the Parli topic picking committee. Is there an issue with violating the written rules when the committee cannot be found?

-Was there enough effort put out to bring the committee together?

-Debate committee feels like they were available and just not contacted

-We should follow procedure.

-Topic vetting during the tournament is going to run into issues and procedure will go by the wayside. Problems start when topic vetting happens during the tournament. Topic security is important. But the debate committee should be trusted and people should be elected who we trust to this committee. We should be voting on topics maybe the day before the tournament. Even given perfect conditions only taking 10 minutes to pick a topic means people are going to miss things.

-Create a google form or another voting platform and have the debate committee rank the topics. Allow an option for members to write in an option for an alternate wording for a topic.

-Rule changes should be vague so the Chair has flexibility to make the vetting process easier.

-Debate Committee members with entries to the State Tournament must recuse themselves from the vetting process.

Policy Scholarship Process

-Money doesn't get to the recipients quickly enough to really help them get to state.

-Should we change this process at all?

-We want to give money to teams who want to create policy programs. Giving them money in the first Semester might let them send teams to the State Qualifiers.

-Qualifying to State isn't a good condition, but having a policy team, even a small one, should be a requirement.

-Provide proof of at least one attended policy tournament

-Reach out to the League Presidents about if a team to see if they have policy

- Rename from Scholarship to Grant
 - Chuck Ballingall (Memorial) Policy Debate Grant
- Time line: December 1st deadline. Review January meeting. Send out money in January.
- Add the payee and address to the document.

Debate Judge Instructions from State

- Debate judge instructions should be revisited after we restructure the rules.
- Do we even want the instructions? Would rather have other things like paradigms sheets like NSDA has. Adaptation is good
- Misinformation was going around about PoO at State when our rules clearly say they are allowed
- Should be an easy one page on each event. Should be a link to information about the basics.
- We need to be clearer on our rules. Seasoned coaches find it difficult to navigate the rules.
- Clear rules lead to clear instructions
- Debate committee wants to be able to see the ballots.
- Instructions should be bare minimum and short.
- “If there was no protests because people didn’t know what to protest I am going to burn the rules myself.” -Karson

Debate Rules Rewriting

<http://www.cifstate.org>

Soviet National Anthem is played while Aaron makes an impassioned speech about abolishing all interp events.

Why is there a section about Definition of a round?

- The subsection is set up to help the subsection under it about communication during round

Email Proposals

- Schedule
 - Those double entered in Debate and Pattern A had a really rough time.
 - Late debate ballots pushed debate rounds late and there was no accommodation to start Ext prep later.
 - We need numbers on how many are double entered in Debate and Pattern A vs B
 - Seeding
 - While the breaks for the debate events were clean there were instances of coin flips for seeding.
- How do we fix this?
- Adding speaker points in as a 5th tie breaker?
 - We need to consult Brent and Angel about adding in the tiebreakers
 - Add coin toss as the 6th tie breaker so it can be a rule and done when needed.
 - Our motion is that total speaker points can be used as the 5th tie breaker, they are to be calculated if needed by debate tab.
 - Side balance
 - Side balance had never existed because of the 3 prelim system.
 - Big difference between expecting to go uneven, and having the possibility of going even
 - Joy has the ability to lock sides but Joy was prioritizing power matches.
 - For some debate styles topics can be heavily unbalanced.
 - Most coaches would rather debate a pull up on the side they are due then have a 3rd Neg and debate their correct power match.
 - We need to prioritize side constraints in round 4 over power.
 - Bracket
 - Current chssa rule says we redo the bracket in Semis.

- This is an old and flawed rule and we support removing it.
- Breaking brackets in Semis is bad. Bracket should be preserved.
- Debate committee suggests passage of Q
- Housekeeping
 - Simple wording fix we adopt P

Parli Points

- Points of Order issue that happened at State.
 - Judges House made an announcement that POOs were not allowed
 - Rules clearly say that POOs ARE allowed.
 - Bad information is being given. Ballots have bad information.
 - A recommendation from the debate committee is that a member of the Debate Committee, if possible, should be assigned to the judge house to help clarify the debate rules.
- Parli kids are very limited on the amount of paper they are allowed to use in prep, limiting, frustrating
 - Kids should get way more paper especially if they can only flow on the colored paper.
 - Debaters only allowed 1 sheet each to flow and write their cases
 - Recommendation that chssa buy double the paper to give more to teams.

Reach Out Policy

- What can we do to help people to access Policy Debate?
- Support UDLs
- Structural limitation with how leagues function
- Resources are lacking, transportation is lacking, close by opportunities are lacking
- Need to assign meaning to tournaments to encourage participation
- There has been racism and hostility to certain UDLs, how do we fix this
- Should we on the Debate Committee be in charge of outreach to the UDLs?
- Reach out to the league Presidents in charge of areas with UDLs to facilitate bringing them in?
- There's no structural way to ensure that there is UDL representation on the Debate Committee
- Money is spent organizing the committee meetings themselves. There is value in meeting face to face but also reduces representation because it demands you give up your time and money to be represented.
- One meeting should be done via video conferencing and the money saved can go to low income students. But we can include more people.
- We can do more.
- Cutting fees goes a long way
 - CFL put in their bylaws that at 60% or more auto waiver for all dues and entry fees
 - OCSL committed to cut fees, cover chssa fees, and drop entry fees for UDLs
- If schools don't pay their own fees should they not count for allocations?
- We want to get NEW schools involved with policy. Not just work with UDLs.

Artem's Parli Rule Changes

- Committee went over a set of Parli rules that had been rewritten by Artem and will weave them where appropriate and wanted into our restructured rules in September.
- Set up a system in the rewritten rules that indicates that if a tournament is using chssa rules that we will have a clear section with the rules and another section where the tournament logistics are laid out and can indicate that tournaments can ignore those for their purposes.

Congress Chair - David Matley

We reviewed the two by-law revisions we submitted for Saturday and made some minor revisions. Those revised documents were shared with Reed and Angelique and passed on to Ben.

We also created a by-law revision we are submitting for a vote in September to increase qualifiers to semis and finals at State to 15 instead of 14 as is current to be consistent with all

rounds of Congress: 15 in each chamber for prelims, semis, finals. Currently, we have 15 in prelims and 14 in semis and 14 in finals. We also reviewed the by-laws and noticed that we still had language referring to the old system of submitting legislation. We then created a second by-law revision to be submitted in September clarifying the current process for submitting legislation. Yes, this is simply housekeeping.

Both of these by-law revisions will be passed on to Reed and Ben to add to our September docket.

Finally, Rachel Wear gave us all a tutorial in using Tabroom to run Congress in our Leagues.

Editor - Benjamin Cummings

The students of the 2019 State Tournament left some notes I wanted to share with everyone. Click below for what the state students had to say about us.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Cx25EcYmLSdztRrAeM0uCoMo9S_SOsozVNetlSVtgyY/edit?usp=sharing

I have also begun the process of converting the former by-laws into the new model for rules and regulations. The google link below will show you what that's beginning to look like. I have skipped certain sections due to major changes in those areas, but this is the format we will be using moving forward.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AZrEvqjzUOqyvk-Zx6qHWyWN9Eq6mcjwe-InYi_ID7Y/edit?usp=sharing

Bulletin coming in June with results from state tournament, hopefully will include curriculum videos, as well as state tournament debrief.

Historian - Ron Underwood

Treasurers Report



Report1905 (1).pdf

Docket

<http://www.chssa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/May2019Docket-1-1.pdf>